Newbury is a town in Orange County, of the Woodstock-Quechee region, and includes the villages of Newbury, Center Newbury, West Newbury, South Newbury, Boltonville, Peach Four Corners, and Wells River.
The area was a favorite of the Native Americans because the rivers teemed with salmon and the brooks with trout. Prior to European settlement, the Newbury area was the location of a village called Cowass or Cowassuck, of the Pennacook tribe.
Newbury was granted to General Jacob Bayley and 74 others in 1763. His friend, Moses Hazen, was granted a tract of land directly across the Connecticuit River and together they worked on many projects, including the Bayley-Hazen Military Road, which extends from Newbury, to Hazens Notch near the Canadian border. Construction took place between 1776 and 1779 during the American Revolutionary War, and portions of the road are still in use today.